Thursday, April 27, 2006

Joining in

Everybody and their brother seems to have a blog these days. Except me, of course. But this changes all that, doesn't it?

What will I post here? Hmmm. I like to think I have a variety of interests that may appeal to others, but who knows? What do I like? Family, fiber, fashion, food, Sherlock Holmes and Fred Astaire, to start with. Things may branch out from there but there's a start.

Guess it's about time for a picture, right?



Okay, do you know what this is? It is the Washington State boxcar from the French Merci Train. What was the Merci Train, you ask? After WWII, America send tons of aid to the European countries. In gratitude for the medicine, food, supplies and support, the French people sent a train of 49 boxcars (one for each state in the nation) full of gifts to thank the citizens of the United States. You can read more about it here.

What is my interest in the Merci Train? One of the boxcars contained 49 fashion mannequins, made by several of the top French designers of the time. These mannequins have been in storage in the Brooklyn Museum, and haven't seen the light of day in over 60 years. It is my hopes that they will soon be taken out, restored and displayed. Here is a great article written by a friend of mine, complete with pictures of these incredible creations. Their companion mannequins, the Theatre de la Mode mannequins are on display at Maryhill Museum in Goldendale, WA, and are worth visiting, if they are not on tour. Right now, the TDLM mannequins can be viewed at the Museum of History and Industry in Seattle. So there is your cultural lesson of the day.

Well, there it is. My first blog entry. I hope you enjoyed it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home