Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Year of Do It

This year, my mantra has been "Do It". Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger, and I don't want my legacy to my children to be a pile of unfinished projects. But even beyond that, there are so many new things I want to try, new skills to conquer. I have recently taken up quilting again, after a 20 year hiatus, and found that I love free motion machine quilting!

So here are a few of the quilt projects I've completed.





Top, a wallhanging of my own design, based on The Sound of the Baskervilles club logo, center, a table topper convergence quilt, from Ricky Tims' book, and bottom, a 5 and Dime lap quilt I made for my daughter. My goal this year is to complete a quilt a month. Not a huge goal, but considering I set it in March, I think I'm off to a good start.

Another fun project I've been working on is dyeing yarn. No, I don't knit, but my daughter does, and the price of some hand dyed yarns seems outrageous to me. I have the skills. I've been fascinated with dyeing since high school, and have gotten quite good at silk. But this has been my first try at yarn. After about ten skeins, I feel that I've found my groove. Here is my favorite skein so far:


So, this year, I will continue to Do It, and hopefully by the end of the year, I will have several more completed projects to share. Today's plan is to get some silk ready to dye. But first, I'm afraid the housework is calling me to Do It. So we shall see which of the siren calls wins out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sayward said...

Hi. Nice to meet you!

It's so funny that you dropped over at my blog and mentioned that you've always wanted to weave. One of my dreams is to learn how to quilt. I especially love your 5 and Dime lap quilt.

I noticed you are also interested in shirbori peeked through your gallery. Your two dresses are quite stunning. I understand the technique of hand pleating and heat-setting, but I find it daunting, and thus am extremely impressed.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home