Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Quite a Yarn

Okay, maybe I should have titled this entry "A Tangled Skein". I've been busy dyeing yarn the last few weeks, on the advice of my daughter, who knits. She knows I love working with dye and color, and I guess she figured I'd be a natural at creating hand dyed yarn.

It's been great fun experimenting, and I think after about ten skeins, I've hit my stride. Here are a few of my favorites.





Of course, it is so hard to capture the actual colors on a computer, but they are rich and vibrant.

Just for fun, and since I was using acid dyes anyway, I threw a piece of silk in the pot to soak up any excess dye. I used it to try another new discovery, fabric postcards!



Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at self striping sock yarn. It is a laborious process preparing the yarn for dyeing, but now the hard part is done and the fun can begin.

Oh! Here is the fabric I ended up choosing for my vest.



I'll try to get pictures of the finished product tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home