Thursday, May 11, 2006

Matilda makes a great model

As promised, here is the vest I made to wear to my daughter's recital last Saturday. Yes, I really wore it, you can see the wrinkles. The buttons do not line up with the fasteners. That is what happens when you sew them on at 12:30 in the morning. I was going to fix them in the car on the way over, but since I had a friend along, I visited with her instead. So I will get around to doing that, before I wear it again.

Okay, who put that leaf right there?!



The sides are hand dyed, hand pleated silk. You can adjust the size on the sides, which makes this a very wearable piece. It looks great here on Matilda, who is a perfect size six, and it looked good on me, who is somewhat larger.



I used two different shades of dupioni for the body of the vest, one slightly lighter than the other. For the inserts I used a variety of fabrics, which you can see here. Three different green dupionis, a metallic brocade in pink and gold, a green silk brocade, and a pink changeable silk taffeta.


The cording I used to create the closures also is what controls the fullness of the pleats on the sides. I hand twisted embroidery floss to make the cording.


I hope you like my vest! Tomorrow, more yarn. I've been busy cooking up some fun new things. Now, for everything to hurry up and dry!

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda L said...

Wow, lovely long vest. Love your fabric colors!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home