Monday, June 05, 2006

Comparing Ink-jet Printer sheets


This is an unscientific comparison, but a pretty practical one. I bought three different types of commercial ink-jet printer sheets, and tried printing on all three. Here are my first impressions after printing:
Color Textiles was the winner in my opinion for the best print
quality. Pictures came out just a little bit sharper, and the fabric
was the brightest white of the three I tried. It is easy to remove
from the backing. Price: $17.00 for six sheets



Second, was the sheets from Dharma, which turned out to be Jacquard.
Pictures came out almost as clear on this fabric as it did on the
Color Textiles sheet. The fabric seems to be a bit more sheer, and is
the most difficult of the three to remove the backing. There was a
bit of residue that remained on the back of the fabric, don't know how
that may affect any fusing product I may use. Price: Dharma Trading
Co.
has 10 sheets for $12.59.




Third, was Printed Treasures. They were okay, but compared to the
other two, I liked this one the least. The color was more off white
than the others, which might mean it would be best to give an antique
look. But honestly, I don't think there is enough of a difference to
really matter. You only notice it when you compare the three. The
fabric tried to shred when I took off the backing, but maybe it was
just that particular sheet. Price: $16.19 for 5 sheets.





Now, I haven't tested any of these yet for washability or
colorfastness. This is simply hot off the printer opinions! My
advice would be to splurge for the Color Textiles sheets if it is a
project that is really important to you. If you just want to play
with collage, I think the Jacquard sheets are just fine. Considering
the difference in price, it is my top pick. I wouldn't waste my money
on the Printed Treasures sheets.
BUT.......... Then I washed them.

Here they are after washing them. As you can see, the Jacquard and the Color Textiles sheets faded horribly. Plus, the Color Textiles sheets skewed. It is no longer straight. And yes, I did iron them. All three like to hold onto the wrinkles.

Color Textiles, after washing

Jacquard, after washing
Printed Treasures, after washing



Look how badly the Color Textiles one skewed. For the price of these sheets, I was sorely disappointed. Both it and the Jacquard sheet lost a lot of their color, especially in the red spectrum. The Printed Treasures did not fade as much , but it still did fade some. Black ink seemed to hold up well, so I guess if you were just printing text, these would work okay. But if you plan on using pictures with color (which I assume is why you bought these sheets in the first place) I would have to recommend the Printed Treasures sheets. But it is with some caveats. I really do not like the color or texture of these sheets. After washing, the surface appears to have pilled.

Next, I will try both the Bubble Jet Rinse method and the fabric softener method. But don't hold your breath. My daughter graduates from college this month, and we will be moving her out of state. And my son leaves for Europe at the end of the month. I have two quilts to complete, and I have not yet had a chance to play with my new Babylock Embellisher machine, which I bought almost two weeks ago. But, I do have some fabric soaking in fabric softener right now, so there is hope!

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda L said...

Glad to read about your experience. At our recent ASG meeting, someone did a program on fabric printing/painting. I think the clue to keeping the colors and such is the Bubble Jet Rinse.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home